This grounding, earthy One Bowl Wonder is one of my go-tos for Meatless Mondays and includes my all-time favorite plant protein: Puy Lentils, aka French Lentils. They hold up better than other lentils and keep a toothsomeness that delights the palate! Did I mention how EASY this one is?
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup Puy Lentils or green lentils
- 3 cups of arugula (spinach or super greens work too)
- 1 Cosmic Crisp or Honeycrisp apple, diced
- 1 package beets, diced (I like LOVE Beets)
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper
- Roasted and salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Prepare the quinoa in a rice cooker or according to package instructions
- Prepare the lentils either according to package instructions or boil them in 3 cups of water with a bay leaf and a dash of sea salt
- Dice the beets (if you’re making your own, either boil or steam them and be sure to peel them before dicing)
- Dice your Honeycrisp apple (or whichever apple you love best)
- Prepare your balsamic vinaigrette or have your favorite one handy
- When the quinoa and lentils are done, set them aside to cool a bit. Then combine quinoa, lentils, beets, arugula and apple in a large salad bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking
- Toss well with balsamic dressing to your liking
- Top with pepitas, as many or as few as you like!
- Serve in individual bowls with love