I love how Thai food combines things I love like coconut milk, lime and cilantro. I was craving those flavors and wanted a salad but needed something more substantial than just lettuce so I added some cilantro-lime basmati rice and basically made a chopped Thai salad with peanut sauce on top. It's a keeper!
Cilantro lime rice
- 1 cup of basmati rice prepared per package instructions or in rice cooker
- Juice of one lime
- 1 Tbsp coconut or other vegetable oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ - 1 bunch of chopped cilantro (depending on how much you like cilantro!)
- Prepare rice according to package directions
- Mix lime juice, oil and sea salt in a glass
- Put rice in a large bow, pour lime/oil mixture over it and combine well.
- Add cilantro and combine again
- Adjust salt to your liking
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated or jarred minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (more if you like more kick)
- Lightly brown the ground chicken over medium heat (3-5 minutes), making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and brown another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha until well combined. Adjust spice to your liking.
- Remove from heat.
- 1 small carrot, shaved or diced
- 1 small or ½ large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup of defrosted edamame
- ½ head of romaine lettuce or napa cabbage, chiffonaded
- ½ cup coconut slivers, toasted (optional garnish)
- Combine the cilantro lime rice and all salad ingredients except coconut slivers in a large bowl.
- Add the ground chicken and combine well.
- Serve in large salad bowls and top with homemade or store-bought peanut sauce and toasted coconut slivers
- Either buy some or make some. I made mine and it tasted great but didn't really look anything like the peanut sauce I've eaten a million times before!