When I make One Bowl Wonders, I love to combine flavors, textures and temperatures. When it comes to flavors, I try to include as many of the 6 Ayurvedic flavors as I possibly can. It is believed that the most well-balanced, nourishing meals reflect all 6 tastes:
- Pungent (Spicy)
So when Kashi asked me to shift gears and make a breakfast One Bowl Wonder, I wanted to stay true to my process and combine hot oatmeal with cool, smooth yogurt and dry, crunchy Kashi as well as fold in all 6 Ayurvedic tastes!
- 1 cup of plain oatmeal, cooked per instructions (sweet)
- ½ cup of plain yogurt, Greek or coconut (sour)
- ¾ cup of Kashi Go Coconut Almond Crunch (sweet)
- 1 sliced banana, ideally still a little light green (astringent)
- 1-2 Tbsp cacao nibs (bitter)
- 1 Tbsp local honey, maple syrup or agave (sweet)
- 1 tsp Gina’s spice dust (spicy, salty and sweet)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp fennel pollen
- Prepare magic spice dust by combining them all in a small bowl and mix really, really well.
- Prepare your oatmeal. Use regular rolled oats, old fashioned, steel cut or even instant, up to you!
- Spoon the oatmeal into a bowl.
- Add the Kashi cereal.
- Top with yogurt.
- Place sliced bananas on top.
- Drizzle honey or syrup over all of it.
- Sprinkle cacao nibs over top.
- Last, add a couple pinches of spice dust to add the pungent magic! Save whatever is left for next time!
- Combine it all and devour.
Note: The presentation in the photo is great for being able to see all the ingredients present but its best eaten all stirred up so there’s a little of everything in every single bite!