Few things satisfy me like shrimp ceviche - it's light and fresh and packed with protein and veggies. It's perfect for potlucks, cookouts and game day where lots of party dishes can be out of synch with your health goals. If you're a citrus lover, definitely try adding grapefruit juice to brighten it up even more. You can eat it with a fork or use your favorite tortilla chips as spoons!
- 1 1/2 lbs. medium shrimp*, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice (optional – increase lime juice to 1 cup if not using)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion or 1 large finely diced shallot
- 1 finely diced medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and de-ribbed for less heat, add a second jalapeno for more heat
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (roma or quartered cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Your favorite tortilla chips! Mine are Zack’s Mighty Tortilla Chips
* I use raw shrimp 31-40/lb size from Costco that is already peeled, deveined and tails removed. The citrus cooks the shrimp to perfection if you leave it in the juice long enough. You can also use peeled, deveined, tails removed cooked shrimp as well, if you’re in a rush
- Defrost your shrimp in a colander under running water
- Meanwhile juice your limes and optional grapefruit into a large bowl
- Finely dice your onion/shallot and jalapenos
- Rough chop the shrimp once it is defrosted
- Add shrimp, onion/shallot and jalapenos to the bowl of citrus juice. Ensure that all the shrimp is covered by juice. If not, add more juice.
- Cover and put in fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes, up to an hour if shrimp isn’t completely pinky/orange and white. Test a chunk if you’re not sure.
- While the shrimp “cooks”, chop your tomatoes, cucumber and cilantro
- Once shrimp is “cooked”, add tomatoes, cucumber and cilantro, toss well.
- Finally, dice and avocado, add salt and pepper to your liking and lightly toss.
- Serve with your favorite chips! Use a slotted spoon if you don’t want too much juice in your servings.