Make this for tonight or this hearty soup is perfect as meal prep or to make ahead and let the flavors meld. Just leave out the greens and add them when you reheat! Super easy to make this vegan (see options below) and it's FULL of flavor. Also great for the holiday season when you want to save up all your cooking juju for the big events! Just make a big pot and you've got meals for the week!
- 1 ½ cups dried cannellini or great Northern beans, soaked overnight then cooked in 4.5 cups water seasoned with pinches of sea salt, garlic powder and onion powder OR 3 (15-ounce) cans large white beans, such as cannellini or great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb of spicy/hot Italian sausage, plant-based or chicken
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- Sea salt
- ½ to 1 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it!)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, my fave is Kettle & Fire
- 1 clamshell mixed super greens, baby kale or spinach
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 ounces feta cheese, plant-based or regular
- 1 cup Italian parsley
- Fresh cracked black pepper (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add your sausage and break into chunks as it cooks. When done, remove sausage from pot and set aside but leave any remaining oils.
- Heat olive oil in the same pot still over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion, and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes and tomato paste and stir to coat the onions and garlic, about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked beans, and season again with sea salt.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer and cook until you’ve reached your desired consistency, about 15 minutes. Add more broth or water if you want it soupier, cook longer if you want it “stewier”.
- Add the sausage back to the pot, stir to combine and cook another 5-7 minutes until it is simmering again. Check the seasoning, add another pinch of salt if desired.
- Remove from heat and add the clamshell of mixed super greens, kale or spinach. Stir to combine and cover for 3 minutes so the greens wilt.
- Squeeze the juice of half or the whole lemon over it all, stir once more.
- Ladle into bowls and top with feta and parsley!