The holidays are a fun time to cook and share in eating decadent holiday favorites! But many of us feel a yearning for the lighter side afterwards. However, given that it's winter, in-season salads can be a little tricky in some parts of the country! Here's a kicked-up kale salad that is nourishing, satisfying and still light that can be enjoyed any time of year and available just about everywhere!
- 1-2 bunches lacinto (dino) kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 apple (tarter is better!), cored and cut into matchsticks or diced
- 1/3-1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasting is optional but adds dimension
- 1/3-1/2 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese, regular or plant-based
- 2-4 dates, pitted and diced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Fresh cracked black pepper (optional)
- After prepping all the ingredients, place kale in a large bowl and toss with a light amount of dressing to coat the greens. Use your clean hands to massage the dressing into the kale for a couple minutes and then let sit for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the beans and apple, add a little more dressing to your liking and toss again. Adjust dressing level as desired.
- Add the walnuts, cheese cubes and dates. One final light toss to mix.
- Serve in bowls and be sure to get some of the goodness that sunk to the bottom of your salad bowl!
- Pass the pepper grinder for people to add fresh cracked pepper if they wish!
PS - If you or the fam don't like kale, you can definitely use baby spinach instead. Just skip the massaging and go easy on the tossing since spinach is less hearty than kale and will wilt under duress!