When I first heard of "chaffles", (waffles made from cheese and egg) I was intrigued. First I was surprised this would turn into a waffle. Next I was surprised at how good they are. But I wanted to see how they could be better. Enter these waffles! High in protein and infinitely adaptable! Absolutely perfect IMO. Bust out that waffle iron and see how they go!
Makes 3 waffles (1 serving)
- ½ cup oat flour or rolled oats ground up in a food processor
- 3 eggs (you can also substitute 2 egg whites +1 whole egg if you want less fat)
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- Pinch of sea salt
- Non-stick cooking spray (I use coconut oil)
- Mini chocolate chips, nuts, fruit, syrup, etc
- Pre-heat a waffle iron
- Whiz your rolled oats in the food processor, if using
- Combine ground oats/oat flour with 3 eggs, cottage cheese and sea salt. You can mix these in a bowl but best results in a little food processor like this one.
- Spray both sides of the waffle iron with non-stick spray
- Pour 1/3rd of the mixture into the waffle iron. If you’re adding chocolate chips or nuts, sprinkle them on and close the lid.
- When done, remove and repeat 2 more times for 3 waffles.
- If they seem too floppy, cook them longer and/or raise the setting on your waffle iron. Experiment to find the perfect balance between crispy outer and soft inner on your waffle iron.
- Eat them like waffles with syrup, eat them as-is, use them as “bread” for a sandwich! The ingredients make these waffles go from savory to sweet with ease!
Transparency: I like to share products I actually use and definitely love. And sometimes I will get a small commission if you click these links to buy one too.