This delicious, high protein bowl highlights summer veggies like tomatoes, corn, bell pepper and avocado. The creamy dressing complements the carmelization of the corn beautifully. If you love elotes or esquites, you might love this riff on those flavors in this crowd pleasing, cookout friendly bowl. This was one of those fun experiments that ended up on the winner list!
About 5 1 cup servings
- 3-6 oz of rotisserie chicken breast per person, shredded (or grilled and sliced or chopped marinated skirt steak)
- 4 cups of corn can be prepared three ways:
- Brush with avocado oil and grill until some beautiful brown spots then cool and cut off the cob
- Cut raw kernels off the cob and sauté in 1 tbsp avocado oil until lightly browned
- Defrost frozen corn kernels and sauté in 1 tbsp avocado oil until lightly browned
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, small diced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and de-ribbed, small diced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or cotija cheese, plus extra for topping
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ -1 diced avocado
- Everything but the Elote seasoning blend from Trader Joe’s (optional)
- Sea salt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chipotle or cayenne powder
- Prepare your protein – either chop rotisserie chicken breast into bite-sized pieces or grill and cut steak. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare your corn in one of the 3 ways listed. If sautéing, heat the oil well first. Set aside to cool.
- Dice onion, pepper and jalapeno and put in a large salad bowl. When corn and chicken or steak have cooled, add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup of crumbled cheese, lime juice, salt and other spices until well blended.
- Pour over everything in the salad bowl and toss well to combine. Check salt and adjust as needed.
- Chop cilantro and dice avocado. Add to bowl and toss lightly once more.
- Top with additional cheese or cilantro if desired!