I recently had the opportunity to share yoga, meditation and mindful cooking techniques with the US Probation Officers of Wyoming. And I learned that a large percentage of them hunt and fish for a lot of their family's food. They asked if I might be able to create a One Bowl Wonder recipe that would work well with elk. I bought some local bison to create this bowl and think the flavors would pair really well with other game. I also think these early fall flavors would be amazing with vegan meatballs made from chickpeas and mushrooms so I included a "Veatball" version too! I couldn't resist including Colorado's Palisade Peaches which are going OFF right now. Thus, the Rocky Mountain High bowl was born!
- 1 cup farro, brown rice or wild rice cooked per package instructions or in rice cooker
- Bison Meatballs (or elk, venison, beef, poultry) OR Veatballs (chickpeas & mushrooms)
- 1 lb ground bison, elk, venison, beef, poultry (if it is very lean, you might consider adding 1/3 lb of sausage to the mix)
- OR 1 lb shitake mushrooms and one can of mashed, drained chickpeas pulsed in a food processor
- 1 tsp onion powder (I used 1/2 a finely diced yellow onion this time which is a bit trickier and I think I'll switch to onion powder next time)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped, dried sour cherries
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup bread crumbs (panko, regular or gluten-free)
Blend all ingredients together by hand. Adjust bread crumbs amount to help everything stick into balls. If making the Veatballs, chill balls in the fridge for at least 25 minutes to firm up. Bake in oven until cooked through (350 for about 30-35 mins, less for Veatballs) or fry in 1/3 cup avocado or coconut oil in 2 batches.
- 1 lb washed, trimmed and halved Brussels Sprouts
- 2 ½ cups arugula
- 1 large diced peach
- Roasted pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- Prepare the farro or rice per package instructions or in your rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, prepare the meatballs or veatballs per instructions above or instructions in linked recipe.
- Wash, trim and halve your Brussels Sprouts. If you are baking your meatballs, roast your Brussels Sprouts in a 350 degree oven in a little olive oil and sea salt on a sheet pan with the meatballs for about 30-35 mins. If you're frying your meatballs, steam your Brussels Sprouts until soft, but not mushy.
- Dice your peach and prepare the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Place cooked farro, Brussels Sprouts and arugula in a large salad bowl and toss with the vinaigrette to your desired level of dressing.
- Add the meatballs/veatballs and diced peach and lightly toss to mix.
- Add sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to your liking.
- Top with roasted pepitas/pumpkin seeds and serve in individual bowls. Serves 3-4.